Friday, June 7, 2013

Summer's A Good Time to Catch Your Breath and Dream A Dream Or Two

Do you remember your summers as a kid? There’s something golden and precious about those moments. 

I remember talking my little brother into selling lemonade with me.  (Only one person typically bought a glass from us, and we drank the rest!) I remember sleeping in late.

I remember going to the pool and playing cards all day with my friends. I remember that my mom would come to the swim club after working part-time and set up the grill. She would make dinner while we swam. When our dad was home from his summer job, he'd join us. I remember lying on the grass at night and staring at the stars. 

Sometimes I was bored during a summer day. The days seemed too long, too hot. We didn’t have air conditioning. My mother would tell me to read, but I wanted to play baseball. None of the other kids wanted to run around in the heat, though. (They were smart!)

Boredom was a risky mood for me. You never knew what idea I’d come up with! Looking back, my brother and my friends were such good sports! They participated in all my plans.

Even though I never have boring summer days anymore, life does seem to slow down a bit in the summer. My attitude changes, I think. The summers of my childhood swirl around my head and affect my viewpoint each summer day. 

Now, I am making new summer memories. With more daylight, I can play outside with my dog when I get home from work. My husband cooks dinner on the grill. I like to watch him driving around the yard on his favorite toy—the riding mower! We can sit on the deck after the sun sets and stare at the night sky. The stillness is soothing to me.

I seem to have more energy, too, in the summertime. I can get up easily at 5:30 in the morning. Sometimes, we ride our bikes down to the water before we begin our workday. I am never bored anymore in the summer. 

Summer’s a good time to catch your breath, to reflect upon your life and plan for the future. Summer’s a good time to dream. 

Once you’ve dreamed your dreams, you can write them down, turning the dream into a goal. You can create a written storyline that identifies steps you might take. You can identify any training that might bring you closer to your goal. You can create a list of all the people who may give you ongoing feedback, ideas, and support. Then, you can begin to contact these supporters. You can continue to fine-tune your new goal. You can envision your success! 

All of these things, you can do in the summer--when the days are longer and the stars seem brighter. Summer’s a good time!

We love to hear your story and your dreams! Please feel free to share with us. Thanks!! Anita O'D.



No comments:

Post a Comment