Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Carve a Big Turn

It was 1999, and I was about to fall off the world. Well, not exactly. I just believed I was going to fall off the top of the world! Still, what you believe to be true is your truth, right?

Okay, so I was at the top of the largest mountain I'd ever been seen. How did I get myself into this? My legs felt like two tree trunks, glued to two horizontal sticks. I had two skinnier sticks in my hands--no help at all! I couldn't move. I didn't want to move. Could I just hang here at the top of this mountain for the rest of my life? Maybe a St. Bernard would show up and bring me a drink in time for Happy Hour!

"No!" Anna, my Australian ski instructor, said. She grinned and shook her head. I stuck my tongue out at her."You can do this, " she added.

"What gives you that idea?" I asked. This was my first time skiing out West. I was very much a beginner, and at that moment I believed I was in way over my head.

"Do you know why I love to teach women," Anna asked, and before waiting for me to make a face at her, she said. "It's because women are capable of so much more than they even realize!" This lady thinks she's so smart, I thought. Yet, in the same moment, she had me hooked. Maybe I could do this!

Maybe I could do more than I realized. Maybe I was the one who stuck myself to the side of this damn mountain in seven degree cold weather. Well, I paid for the stupid ski trip so I might as well give it a try, right?

"You know how to do this." What a good teacher; she could even read my thoughts!"Just take your time and carve big turns across the mountain." Hmmm, I actually could make a big turn! We had learned how to ski across the mountain which slowed us down and gave us more control."Ski to where I am; then you can stop, catch your breath, and when you're ready we'll go on."

Okay, Anna was a really good teacher! She cut that big mountain into small, bite-sized pieces, and gradually, I made it to the bottom. The hardest part was the first bite! To be honest, after that first segment at the top of the mountain, I had a fairly easy time of it. I could ski much better than I gave myself credit for.

Anna was right. I often think of Anna and what she taught me.In my work, I have found that men and women don't give themselves the credit they deserve. Our fear sometimes gets in our way. We lose perspective. Bumps look like mountains.

If you're willing and open, you can complete any task. Do you have a goal that challenges you? Perhaps you might break it down into small pieces, and then carve a big turn down that mountain! You are capable of so much more than you even realize! Thanks Anna!!!


What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions, stories! Thanks! Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment